JOB TITLE: LEGAL ADVOCATE
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the immediate supervision of the Executive Director, the Legal Advocate will meet the residential and non-residential families needs for advocacy, support, and community resources with specific regard to legal issues.
1. Provide crisis intervention and on-going emotional support for clients (and their children as appropriate) through individual, telephone and group counseling contacts.
2. Provide legal information and advocacy to residential and non-residential clients, i.e. court advocacy, law enforcement advocacy, transportation to court and advocacy with other professionals.
3. Assist clients in completing and filing Personal Protection Orders, and provide information regarding the process and court hearings.
4. Participate in an on-call crisis response team on a rotation basis.
5. Increase awareness and availability within community on legal information by networking and active involvement in community agencies and groups.
6. Engage in community awareness, which may include public speaking, professional trainings, community meetings, etc, regarding the dynamics of domestic violence and sexual assault.
7. Assist in planning and facilitating Task Force meetings.
8. Provide training to agency staff regarding legal issues pertaining to domestic violence and sexual assault cases.
9. Provide training to agency volunteers participating in the after-hours crisis response team.
10. Attend monthly staff meetings, scheduled retreats, Task Force meetings, and conferences/in-services as recommended by supervisor.
11. Complete all required paperwork and grant reports in a timely manner.
12. Assume additional responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree in Human Service field or Social Work preferred. Knowledge of the dynamics of Domestic Violence, Michigan laws, and Court/Justice systems and procedures required.
NOTE: For transportation of agency clients, OASIS/FRC requires a copy of your driver’s license and proof of insurance to be recorded in your file, and updated annually.
HOURS/STATUS: 32 hours / NON-EXEMPT
SALARY RANGE: $10.00 to 14.00 per hour.